As the backbone of a network of immigration legal service providers across the country, National Justice for Our Neighbors (NJFON) daily witnesses the human consequences of a broken and outdated immigration system. We see the pain caused by family separation and the isolation experienced through being forced to live in the shadows. Since the election of Donald Trump, immigrants face a new reality in which they are increasingly vilified and uncertain of what life holds for them in this new era.
The next few years promise to be difficult for immigrants and organizations like NJFON who work alongside them. We know there will be attempts to make life harder for immigrants through harmful and misguided policies such as mass deportations, ending DACA, building a wall along the Southern border, and shrinking or abolishing the refugee program. NJFON will stand by immigrants to defend them against these threats. We will work tirelessly to promote policies grounded in justice. We will inspire communities to welcome immigrants with love and compassion. And we will call upon our nation to, once again, serve as a land of opportunity for the immigrant and a beacon of hope to the newcomer.
While our strategy throughout the year will need to be nimble to respond to threats as they emerge, our principles remain firm. National Justice for Our Neighbors advocates for immigration policies that:
- Promote family unity
- Protect access to the immigration system and citizenship
- Defend vulnerable populations, including unaccompanied children, survivors of abuse, asylees and refugees, and border communities
- Enhance the rights and dignity of all individuals
Our faith tradition reminds us that U.S. immigration policies should recognize the gifts, contributions, and struggles of immigrants, ensuring justice and protection for all. To this end, we advocate in the following ways:
- Share client stories that humanize the issues.
- Mobilize our network and broader communities of faith to engage with their legislators through in-person visits, town-hall gatherings, calls, and letter-writing campaigns to promote and defend immigrant policies that align with our values.
- Support and organize actions in the form of marches, prayer vigils, demonstrations, and other campaigns.
- Engage in impact litigation with other partners for select cases that have the potential to create positive precedent and broad impact for immigrants nationwide.
- Participate in advocacy-based coalitions and working groups, including the Interfaith Immigration Coalition.
Our advocacy efforts are only as strong as our team. Please reach out to us if you are interested in engaging in our advocacy work by emailing: email@example.com.